Pages

Welcome

Welcome to my corner of the world. I believe our experiences are not only for our benefit, but should be shared. I hope you will find something in my journey to encourage and inspire you.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Four Bean Salad

This recipe is an oldie, but it is much loved by my husband. I can't believe Labor Day was the only time I made it this summer. I believe I found this version in the Huntsville Heritage Cookbook that was a wedding present almost thirty years ago. Actually, the original recipe is three beans. I added the garbanzo beans at some point. It is very simple, and delicious. And it keeps in the fridge for weeks.

 The ingredients are very simple:
green beans
wax beans
kidney beans
garbanzo beans
oil
white vinegar
salt
pepper
onion
green pepper.
First, drain and rinse all of the beans.  You want as much water as possible to run off so it doesn't dilute the dressing.

Then, mix the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.

Put the onion and green pepper that you have diced into a large bowl with the drained beans.

 Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix gently. Stir the salad two or three times over several hours before serving. The flavor improves as the salad stands so you can make it days before you need it.

Four Bean Salad
1 14.5 oz can each green beans, wax beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans
¾ cup oil
¾ cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium onion diced

Drain and rinse all of the beans. Allow them to drain while finishing the recipe. In a small saucepan mix the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and heat to boiling. While the dressing is heating mix all of the vegetables in a large bowl. Pour the hot dressing over the vegetables and mix gently to combine. The salad should be stirred a couple of times over several hours before serving. It is best when made at least a day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment