Pages

Welcome

Welcome to my corner of the world. I believe our experiences are not only for our benefit, but should be shared. I hope you will find something in my journey to encourage and inspire you.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Cole Slaw


There are different points of view of what cole slaw should be. My husband prefers this version that has no mayo. My mom on the other hand doesn't care for this version. If it doesn't have a mayo based dressing, she won't eat it. I actually like this sweet and sour version.

I always make cole slaw to go with BBQ.  (Here's my mom's BBQ.) I grew up putting pickles on sloppy joes and BBQ to add crunch and a sour component to balance the sweetness of the sauce. Then I went to Virginia Tech and fell in love with a southern boy. I was introduced to BBQ with slaw and I haven't turned back.


I use a bag of slaw mix instead of shredding a head of cabbage these days and often use red instead of green pepper.
 
I have also changed the procedure slightly since I wrote this nearly thirty years ago. I mix the sugar, vinegar, salt and dry mustard in a saucepan and heat it just until the sugar is dissolved. Then I whisk in the oil before pouring it on the vegetables.


This needs to stand a while for the flavors to blend. Several hours is enough, but it is better after a day or two.


2 comments: