Pages

Welcome

Welcome to my corner of the world. I believe our experiences are not only for our benefit, but should be shared. I hope you will find something in my journey to encourage and inspire you.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pepper Steak

When I was in high school, I got home from school around 2:30. At lunch, I would have a pack of those awful orange cheese crackers. (I liked them then.) and wait until I got home to have lunch. There were often leftovers in the fridge which was always a treat since my mom is a great cook. My favorites were pepper steak and shrimp creole.

 This recipe is a 70's home made version of the popular Chinese restaurant dish. I usually make a couple additions to make it more interesting. I add two or three minced cloves of garlic when I brown the meat, and if I have it, a teaspoonful or two of toasted sesame oil just before serving .


Pepper Steak
1-1 ¼ lb round steak
2 cups beef broth (or 2 boullion cubes and 2 cups water)
1 large green pepper, sliced (or half green and half red)
4 Tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium works well)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

Cut steak into strips and brown in a little oil.  Add green pepper and sauté a few minutes to begin softening peppers.  Add broth and soy sauce, and simmer 30 minutes.  Mix cornstarch in ¼ cup water, add to pan and stir constantly until thickened.  Serve over rice.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment